New FvF Server soon and stuff

Here you can find all the latest news regarding Future vs Fantasy.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

New FvF Server soon and stuff

Post by Gunter »

I got in contact with the guy who hosts several "Earthquake" servers and asked if he wanted to run the updated FvF (he's currently running stock 2.09), and he said he would. It's now up and running. I've also updated a few things.

Plus I've been testing Fitzquake Mark V, and I really like it, so I'm making that the "officially-recommended" Quake client to use for FvF. Once the server gets set up, I'll have a page for configuring Fitzquake, with all the settings and downloads needed to make things look great (the monster skins had to be reformatted, etc.), and a new updated FvF Client Pak (now just one file) that should contain everything people need for all the custom stuff in FvF (including the Dance Loops, with a few new additions, etc.).

Go to the home page and check the Download section to find links to everything you need.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Re: Possible new server soon, and stuff

Post by gulliver-trans »

It's nice to know it'll be out there. And maybe I could stop by just to see what these "updates" are :P
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Well, hey, it's up and running at quake.thisserversucks.com:26008 or fvf.servequake.com:26008

I'll see if he'll consider switching it to 26000
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

oh cool. well, i don't have Quake on this laptop, but I'll see about getting everything up to speed. Maybe we can arrange an FVF appointment :P
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Re: New FvF Server and stuff

Post by gulliver-trans »

k got it up and running, but I'm just using the Qrack engine, weird as it is now. Wanna show me all the new stuff sometime? Or is it just bugfix type updates?
Gunter
Administrator

Re: New FvF Server and stuff

Post by Gunter »

I'll have to send BizarroEvade an updated progs.dat before the updates will appear (actually, some things will already show up if you have the new Client Pak). He seems to be a busy person, so it may take a while. But here are some things to look out for:

Cyborg Proximity Mine improved (it looks so cool now). Homing Scrubs recolored.

+hook button now toggles flymode for Android and Monk. Or selects highest weapon for other classes.

More Dance Loops (I hope you like Nyan cat!!).

Ninja Darts (using laser model) sharpened and purple darts added for the Dart Array. Dagger color variation for Dagger Array as well (now it's the same behavior as when the custom models are active).

Wasteland Warrior's Worms recolored. More wormylike now.

Here's one that was inspired by Orl's maps: Remember how Orl would leave health and ammo boxes askew? It made it seem like they were just tossed down there instead of placed into position with a laser level by a computer program to make sure they were perfectly aligned. Well, I liked that effect. It gave the world a different "feel," don't you think? Made it feel more realistic instead of a computer simulation.... Well, I made everything in FvF be like that now. I add a random rotation to every item in every map (and it only takes one line of code :p ). Of course, since the Quake models have their "center" point (the point the model rotates around) on the corner of the boxes, it will sometimes cause a model to be rotated mostly into a wall... (why did they make the "center" point on the corner? Tards). It doesn't affect being able to pick up an item (since the actual "center" point never moves); it just affects the view. But oh well. It still makes it feel like the monsters just tossed the pickups around the map instead of carefully stacking everything like they all have OCD, heh.

Oh, I also found/modified a good Knight Skin to add to the FvF Monster Skins. We never had a Knight before (well, just one I increased in sharpness and contrast), since OgrO didn't make a knight (and of all the monster skins I've tried for Quake, OgrO's [modified by me] are the best, with the most authentic feel). You'll need Fitzquake Mark V (or Darkplaces) to use the custom skins, since they are in that format (and not Qrack's format).

Hm, there may be more things I changed, but I can't think of them at the moment....

Oh yeah, I altered the HUD graphic because it always bothered me that the clock was white on top of a white area, making it hard to read the clock.... So I darkened the area on the right, so now the clock is easier to read.
Gunter
Administrator

Re: New FvF Server soon and stuff

Post by Gunter »

La la la....

Was about to post the formal announcement that the server is completely ready for action, but it seems to be having that weird crash issue again today.

Contacting BizarroEvade to see what's up with it....
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Ok, BizzaroEvade fixed it. It was some kind of linux permission issue with the vispatched map files he extracted to the fvf folder.....

Looks like no joy on getting fvf on port 26000 though.

I will go ahead and post up a formal-ish "Announcement."

You can copy it over to Quakeone, Trans. Thanks.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Okay to attribute it to you?
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Natch.

You can link back to the post here too, if you want.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Monday Morning: The absolute best time to post an announcement to attract players for a 18 year old game!

No... wait. I meant "absolute worst" :wink:

Or maybe we're just getting an early start for next weekend.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Hehehe. Whoops :/
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

It's not like Sunday Night would have been much better.... The server just wasn't "ready" in time for the weekend.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Indeed :/

Oh well.