Needing Help with running Quake v3.50

Is there something that doesn't work right? Do you need help with something? Post about it here.
Sean

Needing Help with running Quake v3.50

Post by Sean »

ok Hi first off my name is sean and im new to quake. I hope you can help.
a friend of mine gave me quake to play online with him and friends they have v3.50 i also have it but cannot access it i can only access the v1.54
i can make it online and play but i cant find my friends. when i try to open the wqpro file it gives me either of two error messages - Quake error W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad

and also Mgl Fatal Error: Cannot Load WDIRxxF.DLL

one solution was offered to me by a fellow player to delete the file OpenGl32.DLL. I did so with no result.
I am very interested in playing this historic game with my friends and would be very happy to put this problem to its death with a nail gun, so i ask you please help me in fixing the problem it would be very much appreciated.
sincerly,
Sean fellow Quaker
Joao Lucas
Level 6
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Re: Needing Help with running Quake v3.50

Post by Joao Lucas »

From QuakeOne.com:
If you are getting this error...

You have encountered one of the easiest to fix error messages in Quake.

The problem is simple, Quake cannot find your pak0.pak and pak1.pak files.

1. Make sure that quake\id1 folder contains your pak files.

2. Check your Start-In folder to make sure it starts in Quake

3. Make sure your Quake executables are in the folder that also contains the id1 folder and that the id1 folder contains the pak files.

4. Double check your Windows short-cut.

5. If you are running Linux and presumably Mac OS/X, you have a case sensitive operating system. Is the "id1" folders spelled in all lower case? Are the "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak" files spelled in all lower case?

Double check #1 thru #5 a couple of times. If the problem persists post in the Support Forum but one of the above should be the solution to the problem, assuming your pak files are not corrupted and are valid.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

It sounds like you're trying to run WQpro (winquake pro). You should try getting GLpro (GLquake pro). Both come in versions 3.5, but GLpro looks a lot better, if it runs for you. You can find links to GLpro in the download secion of the site http://www.fvfonline.com

Of you might already have GLpro. Look for it in your Quake folder.

If you can't run GLpro, what you need to do is install standard Winquake. WQpro needs the Winquake files....
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Welcome aboard.

Post by Guest »

Hi first off i would like to thank you guys for your help, alothough it did not solve the problem. I am using windows 98 to run quake tho i dont think that should be a problem considering i have all the requirements and more and the fact that the game is older, unless there is something i need to know?
so i did what you said even tho i could not find any start in box. I opened toe properties box for Glpro and wqpro with no luck. I made sure that those files were the original file i downloaded from the cd with all the .pak files sitting right next to the wqpro and glpro, i also tried cut and pasting and moving those .pak files to the id1 folder. No luck there. But i got it to error something different. Instead of asking for the pak files i got the error cannot load WDIRxxF.DLL i have no idea where that is. I did a search on it... Absolutly nothing. Then i got another message saying could not load opengl32.dll or missing opengl32.dll something like that. I deleted that file earlier after being told to. None of the files should be corrupt i got the game from a friend. Its a copied game (sorry) but it works just fine on my friends comp. But he has XP operating system tho. Again i am ever so thankful for all of your help and i look forward to playing all of you. and thank you for welcoming me, glad to be aboard!
please help me,
sincerly,
sean
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

There's wdir32.dll and wdir16.dll. Do you not have one of those?

What color depth do you run your desktop in?

What are your system specs? Can you run qrack?

http://www.quakeone.com/qrack/

You could try re-downloading winquake, if that's what you want to run. I think baker has an updated version over on http://www.quakeone.com . Also check out the forums there.

http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2521
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Actually I have another suggestion....

Your installation of Quake is borked.

Download a fresh copy and start over:

*link removed*

Then ONLY get glpro 3.5 (not any other version of glquake) and see if it will run. Follow the download links at the FvF main site, or Quakeone to get glpro 3.5

Post by Guest »

what was that link gunther??
-sean
Joao Lucas
Level 6

Post by Joao Lucas »

Why delete those? I can bet 50% of the Quake players got the game from there.
RocketGuy
Level 5

Post by RocketGuy »

Joao Lucas wrote:Why delete those?
:P
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Quake is not free. And until the day it is, all links redirecting to a site where you can download the full registered Quake will be removed. I will lock this topic if I see that link posted again. I am certainly not trying to prevent you from playing Quake Sean, I simply respect Quake far too much to see it being downloaded for free.
Joao Lucas
Level 6

Post by Joao Lucas »

Awwww you edited all links to goatse...

Sean, register yourself and I will PM you. I can't understand why Quake isn't free, it's a 11 years old game...
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Stop being such a forum nazi, Orl.

Ya know, I'd much rather be a forum where a link to download Quake is posted, rather than a forum where admins think it's funny to post goatse links....

*links removed*

Or just search google for "download quake 1" in quotes, and go to the first site.
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Gunter wrote:Stop being such a forum nazi, Orl.

Ya know, I'd much rather be a forum where a link to download Quake is posted, rather than a forum where admins think it's funny to post goatse links....

Or just search google for "download quake 1" in quotes, and go to the first site.
Oh so I guess its okay to post links to places where you can illegally download Quake, but its not okay to post a link to what clearly says goatse, even though everyone who has been on the internet has seen it by now and its no longer a big deal.

I don't mind that you PM sean the link to download Quake 1, provided he already legally purchased it, but don't provide links in the boards so everyone who have not bought Quake can see them. This isn't a torrent site.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Orl wrote:
Gunter wrote:Stop being such a forum nazi, Orl.

Oh so I guess its okay to post links to places where you can illegally download Quake,
If ID cared about it, they'd have those easy-to-find sites shut down that actually provide the files. So yeah, it's OK by me to post a link to download the 10 year old game that this forum is devoted to.
but its not okay to post a link to what clearly says goatse, even though everyone who has been on the internet has seen it by now and its no longer a big deal.
You think Turk has seen it? What if he decided to visit our forum, then clicked the link.... Then he'd never come back again. The same goes for anyone else that would be offended by goatse (and that would be.... everyone).
I don't mind that you PM sean the link to download Quake 1, provided he already legally purchased it, but don't provide links in the boards so everyone who have not bought Quake can see them. This isn't a torrent site.
Someone call the exaggeration police....

We're not talking about anything near this being a torrent site. We're not linking to anything but Quake 1. We aren't linking to new games, music downloads, pirated movies, or anything else of the sort. Again, it's a 10 year old game. If you wanna get nit-picky, you aren't even allowed to use that image as an avatar, Orl, because NAMCO owns it and you are using it without permission. We don't want to be a forum that advocates illegally using copyrighted images without the express written permission of the copyright holders, so please remove your avatar.