Weapon Crashes

Is there something that doesn't work right? Do you need help with something? Post about it here.
dogfood
Level 0

Weapon Crashes

Post by dogfood »

Hi! I'm not sure if anyone is still around but I thought I'd give it a try and post.

I've been trying to setup FvF for some Lan party fun but I've been having a heck of a time getting it to work.

I started out getting the Fitz Quake and going through that whole setup from the main page with all the extra doodads. I got it working and it was launching FvF but for some reason it would not allow me to play single player and select classes. Yes, I did try the impulse commands but they didn't want to work. I downloaded the older FvF 2.09 and ran that with Fitzquake and that seemed to fix the problem, I was able to setup Coop mode and select my classes. The old 2.09 had a file named "progs" in the base folder which seems to fix the problem with selecting classes.

However, this has lead me to a 2nd problem. The Nail gun / Grenade Launcher / Lightning gun when used on the Mage crashes the game. As well as the Shotgun for the Cleric.

I'm wondering if there are some files that I'm missing or if i need to disable some settings in Fitzquake.

Anyone have any ideas?
dogfood
Level 0

Re: Weapon Crashes

Post by dogfood »

Ok. So before I was using Fitzquake to launch FvF and creating a multiplayer sever through the options and manually changing it to coop 0 / deathmatch 3. All of that was working but still having the problem with the crashes on those specific weapons above.

I saw another autoexec file in the older 2.09 folder which was not a config file but labeled with a .new extension file type. I opened it up in notepad and saw it was a type of server cfg file for FvF. I copied and pasted the contents into a new config file and had the autoexec point to it. This allowed me to turn the models on and off for my dedicated server. When the models are turned off, nothing crashes but of course, I don't have all the cool shiny models now. Inside that server cfg file it says if you're not using the updated FvF it'll crash.

Batch File I use to launch the updated FvF - Fitzquake_mark_v -game fvf
Batch File I use to launch the dedicated server - Fitzquake_mark_v -game fvf -dedicated -winlock 32

Now the updated FvF zip file does not contain a file called "progs" which is present in the older 2.09 FvF. If I run the updated FvF game without this file in the folder, it will not allow me to select classes in single player. I plop it in there and presto I'm able to use the impulse commands to change classes.

Here's the error message I get from the server console when I try to use Clerics Acid Bolt, as well as the Mage guns in the above post.

WINS_Read, recvfrom: Connection reset by peer
Read error
SV_ReadClientMessage: NET_GetMessage failed
Client dogfood removed
load failed.

Sort of stuck at this point. Saw another Readme(new) file in the older 2.09 file that listed the 3 models that caused crashing. Going to try and fiddle with that. Also, i'm currently running this on a laptop and maybe its having trouble with those models. Will try on another computer and see what happens.
dogfood
Level 0

Post by dogfood »

Not sure why it wont work. But I downloaded Qrack and ran FvF through it and everything works now. No crashes on the specific weapons mention above.

I may try to keep messing with fitzquake, but for now, Qrack is allowing me to run it fully.
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

At a glance, all I can say is that Qrack has some of its own replacement models in the Quake/Qrack directory. And I believe Gunter added an extra "frame" to the lightning gun, so he probably did the same for the others.
I don't really remember enough to comment further.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Ah yeah, some of the original FvF 2.09 weapon models did crash GLquake.....

You could try using the progs.dat from FvF 2.09, but use everything else from the FvF client pack from this site.

But FvF 2.09 was still buggy, so you'd probably be better off getting the full FvF 4 version for running at home.

Hm. I know JaCKo used to have the full download on his site, but that seems dead now.

Here's the ... "shareware" version: http://www.fileaholic.com/cgi-sql/file-info.sql/12118

See if that works for you.
I may have to dig up the file for the full version....

EDIT: here ya go, if you want the full shebang, 14 meg download: http://www.fvfonline.com/fvf42R.zip
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
dogfood
Level 0

Post by dogfood »

Hurray!!!

The FvF 4 version fixed everything and is running great in Fitzquake. Thanks a bunch Gunter.