Transparent liquids

Is there something that doesn't work right? Do you need help with something? Post about it here.
teknoskillz
Level 1
Favorite FvF Class: Monk

Transparent liquids

Post by teknoskillz »

So , Pieface also noticed a water problem besides me...and was using PQ, I think it was on the Wizards Manse map. I could not see the problem, but I was playing with alternate textures in I believe a dev dir of my own, or maybe Yellow No.5's texture pack, not sure. Things are touchy for sure with DP.

I did see the link to the other site to re-vis the maps, but it said its for GLQuake only? I was just curious if Gunter could perhaps zip up all the
revis'd maps in a zip, then post them on the site with a DL link? I'm curious if they would work locally , and Pie and me could do some tests to see what the problem is.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Re: Transparent liquids

Post by Gunter »

Ok, if you have a modern Quake client that supports vis files, all you need to do is download these vis files from Quakeone.com and place them in your Quake\id1\maps\ folder:

http://quake-1.com/docs/utils/visfiles_ ... 1_maps.zip

Of course, I recommend Fitzquake Mark V, which supports the vis files and lots of other things... though it's not got as much eye candy as Darkplaces. http://fvfonline.com/fitzquake.php

Second option (and probably the better choice) is to actually patch your Quake PAK files directly to vis the maps correctly. It's not hard; just grab the id1vis utility from QuakeTerminus: http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.shtml (second from the bottom of the Utility section).

It says it's for GlQuake only, but that's because there were no other 3D accelerated Quake engines back then... and only GlQuake could make the transparent water effect (I should update that note...). It's not actually dependent on the Quake engine -- it alters the map files inside the PAK files directly, which will make the transparent water work properly for any modern Quake engine.

You just run that sucker and let it do its job, and it will vis the hell out of your PAKs.

Then your water should be all hunky-dory.

Oh, there is one other option that can work, but it's a hack and can harm your FPS. That is typing: r_novis 1 in the console.... If you use either of the more-correct methods above, you should make sure r_novis 0 is set instead.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
foq
Level 4
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Re: Transparent liquids

Post by foq »

Gunter wrote:Oh, there is one other option that can work, but it's a hack and can harm your FPS*. That is typing: r_novis 1 in the console.... If you use either of the more-correct methods above, you should make sure r_novis 0 is set instead.
*If you are running Quake on a potato.

That said, the server you're playing on has to have vispatched maps for transparent liquids to work properly. You can connect to fvf with r_novis 1 (or vispatched maps) and see transparent liquids, because we've done the vispatch on the server.

If you start singleplayer with r_novis 1, but no vispatched maps, the water will look transparent, but it won't actually be transparent. You need vispatched maps for this.

If you connect to shmack, which does not have vispatched maps, it doesn't matter if you use r_novis 1, or if you have vispatched maps on your machine... you won't have transparent water. It'll look transparent, but it won't actually be transparent.