FvF Source Code and conditions of the GPL

Anything FvF related.
Caturday___:3

Post by Caturday___:3 »

Gunter wrote:In case there's any further doubt about the validity of claiming I have to release mod source code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuakeC
try clicking on the link now, it appears that the original quoted text in this thread is incomplete.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuakeC wrote: The programmers of Quake modifications could then publish their progs.dat bytecode without revealing their source code. Most Quake mods were published this way. However, since Quake has been released under the GPL license, publishers of Quake modifications that contain a binary compiled progs.dat are required under the terms and conditions of the GPL to release the sources of their QuakeC modifications as well as provide the relevant GPL license text under penalty of law.
as an impartial 3rd party it seems like there's nothing but selfishness and arrogance in this thread on both sides of the argument. get a fucking life you faggots.

internet. serious business.
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Well, I hope you guys are happy. We just lost another FvF player, Juggernaut. He says hes done with the Quake community because were all selfish bastards. And he got the sources to FvF4 from Hap anyway... I don't know about the GNU thing but, supposedly he emailed them about this so I don't know what to expect. We'll have to wait and see.
Joao Lucas
Level 6
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by Joao Lucas »

Juggernaut, you bastard!
Canadian*Sniper
Level 5

Post by Canadian*Sniper »

/cough*

Gunter releasing HIS fvf source isn't a BAD thing :P

*cough/
FvF is a good place to hang out but not a good place to fight. :) <-- This signature pisses Jow off XD
RocketGuy
Level 5

Post by RocketGuy »

Canadian*Sniper wrote:Gunter releasing HIS fvf source isn't a BAD thing :P
agree'd :)
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

AFAIK, Nobody was required to release the source to their mods in the beginning. IF it was required, and some didn't, Carmack would have jumped on them. It's strange to think that the GPL release has changed this.

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/q1source.txt

The *engine* code is under the GPL, but I didn't see anything about the GPL in the progs106 or qcc releases.

The rest of it belongs to id software.
Last edited by gulliver-trans on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Someone please go post this thread over at Quakeone.com so they can laugh at it too!

And check the IP of that "guest" who obviously vandalized wikipedia with the false information... and see if it's the same IP as Juggernaut. He can't possibly be stupid enough to have posted with the same IP, can he?
But come on, who else would it be, even if he did use a different IP?

Seriously, Orl, does FvF (or Quake at all) need players who come in and start threatening "legal action" if they don't get their whiny way?
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Gunter wrote: Seriously, Orl, does FvF (or Quake at all) need players who come in and start threatening "legal action" if they don't get their...way?
I vote no.

http://www.mnvibe.com/forum/member.php? ... &userid=26

Handle: RavinDave69 [hint: same as wikipedia defacer]
Homepage: http://csounds.com/akbari/
Csounds is juggernaut's website, per.... juggernaut.
Last edited by gulliver-trans on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Gunter wrote: And yes, it was pretty jerky....

GULLIVER-TRANS: "Hey you should add dance music to the intermission scenes!"

ME: "I like that idea, I'll put it in."

later

GULLIVER-TRANS: "Oh, man, that's awesome! Thanks for putting that in!"

later

JUGGERNAUT: "You have illegal music downloads for your dance loops and if you don't follow the conditions outlined by the GPL I'm report you!!"
Fixed.
Uh, no. I clearly remember Trans AND you asking for it, and you, specifically, telling me it was great and thanking me for putting it in.

Go back to newgrounds.
Yes, I will. I saw some cool-looking animations there which I haven't had a chance to view yet.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

gulliver-trans wrote:
Gunter wrote: Seriously, Orl, does FvF (or Quake at all) need players who come in and start threatening "legal action" if they don't get their...way?
I vote no.

http://www.mnvibe.com/forum/member.php? ... &userid=26

Homepage: http://csounds.com/akbari/
Csounds is juggernaut's website, per.... juggernaut.

Wait, was that csounds page one Juggernaut was showing you one day? I thought I remembered him giving out a site, but I wasn't paying attention....

So basically, the person who vandalized Wikipedia used the username "Ravindave69" which is the AOL screenname listed on that csounds user page where the homepage is listed as the site Juggernaut showed you earlier?

Is that correct?

hehe....
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

As I recall, Juggernaut was "aiding and abetting" and offering to provide some dance loops of his own.

But I have to take that wikipedia "modification" as a joke, intended to prove a point, because any other intent is too retarded to conceive.
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Gunter wrote:Seriously, Orl, does FvF (or Quake at all) need players who come in and start threatening "legal action" if they don't get their whiny way?
Well, no. When I first met Juggernaut he certainly was not like this. But all the clues indicate that Juggz wanted to get his hands on Gunters FvF source from the beginning. Why? Who knows...

I feel this whole situation could have been handled properly, but apprently wasn't. According to the PM Juggz sent me, he'll be back in a few years to see the progress of Quake. We'll be ready for anything he may try to cook up.

We can all say goodbye to Juggz, cause he aint comin back. Maybe its for the best.
Canadian*Sniper
Level 5

Post by Canadian*Sniper »

I think it's all Gunter's fault :D
FvF is a good place to hang out but not a good place to fight. :) <-- This signature pisses Jow off XD
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

The IP the "impartial 3rd party" guest posted from was 208.68.174.24, which traces back to something called host.tohide.com

Which sounds suspiciously like it could be an anonymizing proxy or something....

Could have been avoided? How? By me giving him what he wants?
I will respond in like manner to anyone who comes in making stupid threats such as this "Release source code or else!" with no legal basis to them whatsoever....
He expects me to be responsible for releasing the source code for the standard 2.09 version of FvF which is available for download on the site, even though I didn't write ANY of that. And by the way, even I don't have the original source code for it!

He might as well go to planetquake and demand source code for any mod they host, and threaten to report them if they don't comply.
It's just utter stupidity.

And onnoes! One quake player is fed up and is leaving the game forever!! Er, I mean for a whole year!!
I'm sorry, but like... maybe someone cares... but it's not me; not for a player who behaves in this manner and thinks he can get what he wants by making threats and legal bullying.