Female Quake 1 skins

Anything FvF related.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Re: Female Quake 1 skins

Post by Gunter »

That would require a heavily modified server and client. At the start of every level, the server has to precache all the models needed on that level. If the client connects and can't precache all the models from that list, the client will be stuck in the console.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Indulge me, please. It's at least a fun puzzle.

Post by gulliver-trans »

What if a proxy on the server side intercepted the precache list from the server? Could it change it or make substitutions (with a regular model like the globe light sprite) before sending it on to the client? That's the part I'm not sure of.

Example of client connect:
http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/spe ... tm#NETEXPL

I guess you'd have to decide who gets the full list based on the IP address of the client? I don't see what other information you could get from the client before precache... unless... the proxy tricks the client into sending the player name? Like maybe just one message to trigger it? Or maybe a fake connection attempt followed by a real one? Stuffcmd("connect")? Heh.

One way it might work: the player says "fvf models on" and then has to reconnect (or is reconnected) to precache all the models?

Anyhow, I don't think substituting female frames for male ones would be a problem. It wouldn't require hacking the precache list. The proxy could even decide by player name (if it contains the characters "[FS]" when changed, for example), whether to send the female frame numbers to that player. If you did it that way, then you could easily tell who can see female frames and who can't.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Gunter wrote:That would require a heavily modified server and client.
i.e., it ain't gonna happen.

The simplest solution would be to program a mod that had both male and female models, but that, of course, would require downloads.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

All I want to know is if the way I proposed (using a proxy) would work.

I am not suggesting you program it.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

It would make more sense to program a modified Quake server than to program a whole separate proxy program to do the same thing.

Though I have no idea if either is possible.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Gunter wrote:It would make more sense to program a modified Quake server than to program a whole separate proxy program to do the same thing.
Yah. Yeah.... Yeeeeah. I know. I'm just being crazy obsessive in thinking of a way to make it so any server could use it. I guess the best thing to do would be to promote the code -- bug the main server coders about adding it in.
Gunter wrote: Though I have no idea if either is possible.
Armaphage seems to think it is.