Recording FvF Games for YouTube

Anything FvF related.
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Recording FvF Games for YouTube

Post by gulliver-trans »

So I tried SimpleScreenRecorder, and that kinda sucked. Lots of audio errors.

Then I tried Open Broadcaster Software, which was top-voted here: http://alternativeto.net/software/fraps/?platform=linux

OBS seems to work well, now that I figured it out.

(Darkplaces in-game avi recording, by the way, really slowed down the game, so that was pretty useless.)

Next step is to try uploading to youtube...
Dr.DUMBFUCK
Level 2
Favorite FvF Class: Cleric

Re: Recording FvF Games for YouTube

Post by Dr.DUMBFUCK »

I livestreamed 3 hours of FvF on my Twitch account.

Here's a YouTube export of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2KIZi4dAs
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

In the old days, we recorded demos and Fraps'd the demo... but Fraps sucked because it wasn't free, and it has the rather extreme limitation of recording into a raw, uncompressed format, which resulted in an absolutely massive file, and that sucks.

OBS seems pretty good. I've never used it personally, but you should be able to record locally and compress it at the same time. This is actually a pretty tricks business... when encoding (compressing) video, you get to pick 2 out of 3 fundamentals: fast encoding, good quality, and small file size. I shoot for good quality and small file size at the expense of encoding time (my encodes generally run at 8fps for DVDrips). Of course, when recording gameplay, you're not only working with those three fundamentals, but you're also juggling recording and running the game. Quake is so old it barely takes anything to run, though, so we can pretty much focus on recording here.

OBS probably uses the h.264 codec, which can be pretty efficient at higher settings... but, it takes a lot more hardware grunt to encode with those higher settings. There's probably an h.264 preset settings, ranging from something like "Ultra Fast" to "Placebo". Naturally, Placebo would be the slowest (highest quality/efficiency) setting, but will be really hard to run... I suggest trying at least Medium. I wouldn't recommend recording beyond 1280x720, because stepping up any higher means a lot more hardware grunt needed to encode at that resolution. Also, if you happen to be streaming, it means a lot more bandwidth required to stream beyond that resolution. If you can't handle 1280x720, 853x480 is a decent resolution to record at. You won't need so much bandwidth to stream that (or, if you're just uploading to YouTube, you won't need to upload as large of a file). That'll get you DVD quality, at least.

I might try putting something together myself... so, next time you're on the server with me, you just might end up on foq-cam!
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

I think I'll just record a demo first. Seems like the safer option. Mainly I just want some recordings of a big FvF reunion.

Also, with a demo, I can run the game fullscreen while recording. Can't seem to record darkplaces in fullscreen mode with OBS.

Anyhow, the more the merrier :)
Dr.DUMBFUCK
Level 2
Favorite FvF Class: Cleric

Post by Dr.DUMBFUCK »

I have a profile in OBS setup for recording gameplay videos with, so that's no problem. OBS-Studio is really the FRAPS of the Linux world, hell it's quite possibly the only good screencasting thing for Linux there is.

Just have to wait for a ton of players to show up so I can have them on candid camera overhere.