What Quake engine do you use for FvF Quest?

Anything FvF related.

You may select up to 3 options

View results

gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

I'm working on a map and just want to see what everyone uses for FvF in Quest/coop mode (not versus modes). Thanks!
foq
Level 4

Re: What Quake engine do you use for FvF Quest?

Post by foq »

I tried to vote for too many options, so I voted for what I use most frequently, which is Fitzquake Mark V. I would have voted for Proquake and Darkplaces as well if I was allowed. I tried Fitz Mark V because Gunter's been pushing it like a drug dealer, and I was too lazy to correctly install Darkplaces. It works, but I should probably pack everything into a .pk3... maybe I should do that and maybe Gunter would make it available for download on the front page... but probably not. Maybe I'll make a newber friendlier .pak for Fitzquake Mark V. That might be a good idea. Installing all the fancy addons for Fitzquake could be overwhelming for a newber.

One time when I was much younger I deleted the entire contents of my ID1 folder just trying to get FvF to work correctly... I was stuck Quakeless until I got my dad to reinstall it for me...
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

I opened it up to 3 options now :P

But if you only use an engine like 20% of the time or less, please don't select it.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Yeah, obv, Mark V.

I do not like the "eyecandy" engines like Darkplaces or Qrack. They just change too much, and it gets too far away from the original "Quake" feel. I don't mind trying them to see the nice effects, but in the end, when I'm playing, I want to have it feel more like Quake originally did, without too much IN-YOUR-FACE eyecandy getting in the way.

Mark V starts out with the "standard Quake feel" as a base, but adds in little things that just make it look like "still Qauke, only a little better" (i.e., not so bland). like the high-quality textures, colored lights, a little fog, shadows, and interpolation, and even a skybox or three, because standard quake only has like 2 skies... and that gets a little old.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
teknoskillz
Level 1
Favorite FvF Class: Monk

Post by teknoskillz »

JoeQuake is another engine still popular to a degree out there.

What engine is the server using?
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Heh. I added that option. Now the votes are gone.
teknoskillz wrote:What engine is the server using?
"Magic Proquake", apparently.