Server seems dead.... Annnnd we're back up and running again.

Anything FvF related.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Server seems dead.... Annnnd we're back up and running again.

Post by Gunter »

Server seems to be gone, and Polarite was always hard to contact, so I don't know if it's a permanent thing or what.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
gulliver

Re: Server seems dead.

Post by gulliver »

Hey Gunter,

I just tried to connect to the server to try out my new machine and... yeah :(

Welp, if I ever make any money, maybe I'll pay to run a server myself.

Anyhow, I guess I can look you up on twitter or something?

Take care, ya old Lord & Master :P
foq
Level 4
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by foq »

If you need a host, I can run FvF on my secondary machine.
Dr.DUMBFUCK
Level 2
Favorite FvF Class: Cleric

Post by Dr.DUMBFUCK »

Yeah, I just like... got off my ass and spun up a compile of the latest vkQuake and noticed the server timing out.

The domain name still resolves though.

Code: Select all

$ nslookup fvf.servequake.com
Server:		1.1.1.1
Address:	1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	fvf.servequake.com
Address: 45.32.1.41
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

foq wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:25 am If you need a host, I can run FvF on my secondary machine.
Ok, I guess we can foq up the server again.

Even though last time foq ran it, he gave the files to Rocketguy who deconstructed it and found the admin commands and gave them to foq to abuse.

Just don't abuse the admin commands! Only Gunter is supposed to abuse the admin commands....

Your email address is still the downgraded286? I'll get the files and send them. And let me know the IP and I can redirect the redirect.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Dr.DUMBFUCK wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am Yeah, I just like... got off my ass and spun up a compile of the latest vkQuake and noticed the server timing out.

The domain name still resolves though.
Hm, yeah, today when I tried to log into his server using PuTTY, it did actually find the server but it said the key file had changed or something, and it would not accept my login.... I think when I first posted this thread, the server wasn't showing up at all and PuTTY wouldn't connect to anything. Maybe Polarite is redoing his server setup or something, but he never replies to my emails (for years, heh, except when he first set up the server for me), so I don't know if he checks that address address or not, so I have no way to get in touch with him....
foq
Level 4
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by foq »

Gunter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 am
foq wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:25 am If you need a host, I can run FvF on my secondary machine.

Even though last time foq ran it, he gave the files to Rocketguy who deconstructed it and found the admin commands and gave them to foq to abuse.

Just don't abuse the admin commands! Only Gunter is supposed to abuse the admin commands....

Your email address is still the downgraded286? I'll get the files and send them. And let me know the IP and I can redirect the redirect.
Yeah, same email. I'll send you the IP when you email me.

I remember giving the files to Rocketguy and... doing some things... Full disclosure, since I remember you weren't happy about it: I do vaguely remember how some of that shit works, but I'm sure you can change that if you're worried about it. Also, I won't be doing that again. I've got a little more respect now than I did then. Just let me have my scrubbing bubbles! :lol: I just don't want to see FvF die completely, even if Quake as a whole seems largely dead. And, having a LAN connection to the FvF server is pretty kickass. Nobody else in the world can say that, unless they launch their own server somehow.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

foq wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:04 pm
Gunter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 am

Yeah, same email. I'll send you the IP when you email me.

I remember giving the files to Rocketguy and... doing some things... Full disclosure, since I remember you weren't happy about it: I do vaguely remember how some of that shit works, but I'm sure you can change that if you're worried about it. Also, I won't be doing that again. I've got a little more respect now than I did then. Just let me have my scrubbing bubbles! :lol: I just don't want to see FvF die completely, even if Quake as a whole seems largely dead. And, having a LAN connection to the FvF server is pretty kickass. Nobody else in the world can say that, unless they launch their own server somehow.
I vaguely remember altering the admin stuff and putting booby traps in the code if someone starts entering impulses to try and figure out the admin commands, hah.

Ok, I'll send you the progs.dat. You'll have to download the maps and pak file from the site. I think that's all you really need to run the server.

RocketGuy once commented, "This server refuses to die. I respect that."

Even I am a little bit impressed about it still refusing to die, years later, heh.
Dr.DUMBFUCK
Level 2
Favorite FvF Class: Cleric

Post by Dr.DUMBFUCK »

Even though I'm still mostly just playing Unreal or GZDoom, I still have been wanting to play FvF with several friends of mine as a stream idea.

Though I don't think I can risk streaming FvF anymore ever since the whole DMCA fiasco of the Quake soundtrack. (The dance loops very rarely trigger ContentID but the Quake soundtrack made every video on YouTube unavailable for viewing at all)
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Dr.DUMBFUCK wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 am Even though I'm still mostly just playing Unreal or GZDoom, I still have been wanting to play FvF with several friends of mine as a stream idea.

Though I don't think I can risk streaming FvF anymore ever since the whole DMCA fiasco of the Quake soundtrack. (The dance loops very rarely trigger ContentID but the Quake soundtrack made every video on YouTube unavailable for viewing at all)
Interesting. I wonder if they started cracking down on the Quake soundtrack because it is getting release on vinyl (as I am just learning): https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09/16 ... -treatment
gulliver

Post by gulliver »

Dr.DUMBFUCK wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 am
...The dance loops very rarely trigger ContentID but the Quake soundtrack made every video on YouTube unavailable for viewing at all)

If you're just worried about the dance loops, you could replace them will empty/null .wav files or somesuch thing.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

gulliver, do you need your password/email changed/reset?
gulliver

Post by gulliver »

Gunter wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 am gulliver, do you need your password/email changed/reset?
Yeah, I guess. Hmm. I could probably get my old password, but might be a lot of work.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

gulliver wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:52 am
Gunter wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 am gulliver, do you need your password/email changed/reset?
Yeah, I guess. Hmm. I could probably get my old password, but might be a lot of work.
Ok, I changed your password to the name of the guy who has a private exit (one word, correct case). You'll probably wanna change that and your email once you get logged in.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Foq has his server set up, and I have just changed the DNS to point to it, so it should be working.

Hm, ping seems good, but while connected, my console is getting spammed with "got a stale datagram."
That's weird.

Foq said he's using glpro (looks like 4.93) as the server. I had suggested Mark V, but he said that didn't work as a server for some reason... but It really should....

Well, apparently Mark V runs as a dedicated server, but the console shows nothing but %s%s%s%s%s for some reason, even though we could connect to it.... And there's no way to contact anyone about these issues anymore. I geues someone could post at Func_Msgboard on the Mark V thread, but I doubt anyone there has tried to use it as a dedicated server either.