My first maps in Worldcraft

Discuss anything you'd like that doesn't belong in the other forums.
Orl
Administrator

My first maps in Worldcraft

Post by Orl »

I started mapping about 4 years ago. Some of my first maps were merely tests involving moving doors and elevators and such. After doing much testing, i decided to make full single player maps. The first map i built was in the Qoole editor. Qoole was completely... whats the word... Unorganized. It was very sloppy and unreliable. So after that first map, i was done with mapping for awhile. Then Wasted Youth came along and showed me some of his maps he made. None of them were finished, but they looked awesome. I asked what editor he used, and said it was Worldcraft. He sent me version 1.1a of it (Which i still use to this day) which was an old version of Worldcraft, as the final 1.6 version was already out. So i gave Worldcraft a try. It was much more easier, more organized, and faster than Qoole. I was back in the mapping business. Since i already knew a few things about map making from qoole, i was making more single player maps. There were many things i didnt know about. Just to name a few:
Every wall is multiples of 64 units
Every enemy faces right (0 degrees)
I didnt know what vis was, or did
I didnt know what the carving feature did
I couldnt figure out how to use the texture application
I didnt know any of quake's limits when it comes to maps

Basically, I was clueless. But i worked on the maps anyway. After about 5 months, i was finished with 3 large, and very simply designed single player maps. Honostly, these maps are terrible. they are very poorly designed with unaligned polygons, textures, enemys, merely crap. And even though they were crap, i was still proud, because these were my firsts and always will be. I never released these maps to the public, until now. I'm giving you the chance to see my first quake creations for yourself. Dont expect any high detail or anything (everything is mostly blocks). They are very simple, walk to the next room and kill everything, no puzzles or anything. They are a bit hard. Orlmap2 is unfinished because i used far to many static entitys. You will get to a point in the blue hallway where everything just stops, thats when the problem emerged and i never bothered to fix it.
After building these maps, i moved onto deathmatch. My mapping skills improved a ton while making them. I learned about vis, entity keys and values, and much more. I built 4 dm maps, then decided to go back to making single player maps. The first map i built was a complete disaster. (To much wide open spaces) The map made quake vomit. So after 2 months of hard work right down the toilet, i decided to rebuild it. But this time, now that i knew alot about quake mapping, enough to make a map good, i wanted to make an episode. Work on the episode started on January 2005. And this episode is still being built, which will be future custom maps of fvf. I expect the episode to be done sometime around July.
Well, i think youve heard enough of me talking. Here are my very first, Worldcraft made, Quake single player maps.

http://69.175.90.38:280/posthere/firstmaps.zip
RocketGuy
Level 5

Post by RocketGuy »

i already have them :)