Current Sprite Project: Akroids

Discuss anything you'd like that doesn't belong in the other forums.
Bank

Current Sprite Project: Akroids

Post by Bank »

As some of you may know, I'm a pixel artist on my spare time. At the moment, I'm working on a computerization of one of my favourite ideas.

A few years ago, I heard the name "Akroyd" and thought to myself, "doesnt that sound like a skin disease you get on your neck?". Well, through hell and high water, the idea for "Akroids" was born. Akroids are frog-like creatures born with no arms, that use robotic arms and special armour to move around. I designed them early on to be ugly, outrageously ugly, with a cartoonish/impossible anatomy. As the idea progressed, more additions came to the Akroid race. Eventually, I forgot about the Akroids, going on to bigger and better things (Hitler Shark), but here I am, recalling my favourite times.

I decided that I'd make an Akroid sprite, with complete animations. I am currently done with the master frame, of which all other frames will be based. Here for your enjoyment.

An average Akroid. Notice the blaster-arm. (White background because transparencies make it too hard to see on a black background.)

Process of making said Akroid.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

That's very Earthworm Jim-ish, in a good way (as if there was a bad way to be Earthworm Jim-ish).