Would a minor graphic glitch distract you?

Anything FvF related.

Would this graphic glitch distract you from a deathmatch game?

You may select 1 option

View results

Orl
Administrator

Would a minor graphic glitch distract you?

Post by Orl »

Okay, heres the deal. Awhile ago, Gunter asked me if it was possible to implement the purifier into an existing ID1 map, namely DM6. This way, people wouldnt have to download the map to actually play in it. (You would not see it though.) And, this also greatly helps people who are in Qrack and who are not running the mod, they will not get kicked because they dont have the map.

So, after completely rebuilding the purifier in DM6, using only existing brushes in DM6, I have managed to create an exact copy of the purifier that looks and feels exactly the same as the original purifier.

However....

There is one small graphical glitch when playing deathmatch on DM6. The door leading to the lightning gun is invisible, but is still there. That means you can see if someone is hiding in the lightning gun pit.

Look at the following pictures.

This picture shows the door, in its closed state. Yes, the door is closed, but you can see through it.

This pic shows me shooting the door. You can see the blood particles.

This last picture shows the graphical oddity that moves when you shoot the invisible door. This object, thinks its the door, and moves according to the invisible doors movements. Weird.

So, would this small glitch distract you from your normal DM game?

Because it would not bother me. I spent hard hours rebuilding the purifier in DM6, which was NOT an easy task considering all the point trigger_hurt entities I had to make, and using brushes only within DM6.

If you vote it would not bother you, we can put an end to people being kicked out of FvF for not having the map.

If you vote it would bother you, people will be innocently kicked for being a Qracker. And all my hard work will be for naught :(

And besides, once you download the DM6 purifier map, this graphic glitch oddity does not appear. So, make your pick.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Just looking at that picture is already distracting me from the game I'm going to be playing tomorrow....

Ok, I'm a programmer and a perfectionist, so I'm used to bugtesting bugtesting bugtesting.... Keep adding/removing stuff until you find what exactly is causing the problem, and then go from there to see how it might be fixed. If it can be fixed it should be fixed..... That's my vote.
Canadian*Sniper
Level 5

Post by Canadian*Sniper »

The only thing I see is proof of ORL's wallhacking! Lynch him! :twisted:
FvF is a good place to hang out but not a good place to fight. :) <-- This signature pisses Jow off XD
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

I don't see anybody playing a game of deathmatch at FvF on DM6, do you? Further more, once you download the DM6 purifier map, the graphic glitch is no longer there.
Canadian*Sniper
Level 5

No means no
FvF is a good place to hang out but not a good place to fight. :) <-- This signature pisses Jow off XD
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Canadian*Sniper wrote:No means no
Thats right. No as in it doesn't distract you. So from the look of the poll, the "No" is winning! Hooray for No!
Canadian*Sniper
Level 5

I didn't vote. I refuse to change my dm6. That's retarded in so many levels. And your mom is retarded in so many levels.
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

I finally got it nailed!

After much fiddling with the map and recompiling it over and over, I figured out what the problem was. Well I dont really know what the problem was, but I know how its fixed.

I had to move the trigger_teleport entity (which is the big trigger box you see in the picture) to a spot in the .map file which is before the shootable secret door. For some reason, QBSP shuffled those 2 entities and mixed them up, thinking one was the other. So I had to manually make QBSP create the teleport trigger before the secret door. And doing that, solved the problem.

Now all thats left to do is for Gunter to use his QC powers for the map to make it work as the purifier.