Here's how to get your Google Cast extension back in older Operating Systems.

Is there something that doesn't work right? Do you need help with something? Post about it here.

Re: Here's how to get your Google Cast extension back in older Operating Systems.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Aaron , it is great to be able to use my chromecast again in XP thanks to your fix. I had phoned the Google chromecast help desk and they were no help at all. There seems to be no reason for them removing the chromecast extension as it worked perfectly but they do not seem to care.
Eef

Re: Here's how to get your Google Cast extension back in older Operating Systems.

Post by Eef »

Hello!!

I followed all the steps to get it on my OS X 10.8

I downloaded the right version Google Cast 15.1120.0.4
And it appears in my download list as boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd-15.1120.0.4-Crx4Chrome.com

However it does NOT appear as a folder in the extention folder (/Users/eefsmeets/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default)

There are 8 folders but no new one appears - I downloaded this version many times, offline, online....

Extra tips would be appreciated!!!
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Did you drag and drop the downloaded crx file onto the "chrome://extensions" page in Chrome?

If so, it should create the new folder inside /Users/eefsmeets/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/extensions/ (make sure you are looking in the "extensions" folder).

It will also show up as installed on the chrome://extensions page itself, and you will see the icon in your Chrome toolbar, if it installed.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Gunter,

I read your fantastically clear instructions with great excitement at the prospect of connecting my old Windows Vista PC to my new Chromecast to play videos on my mother-in-law's TV, but unfortunately I may have 'missed the boat', being that https://www.crx4chrome.com/crx/49386/ does not appear to take me to the page where I can download the old extension anymore.

Any idea where else I could get it from?

Thanks in anticipation of a fix...

Nick
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

That is the correct page. There are several servers listed where you can download the file.

Look for the large, green "down arrows" on the page where it says:

Download Google Cast crx 15.1120.0.4:

Choose a server location to download the crx file:

Google CDN
Zippyshare
SendSpace
Crx4Chrome
Nick

Post by Nick »

Amazing! Thank you very much - managed to do this. The link didn't seem to work when I wrote last but did after your reply.

Thanks again!
xeniste
Level 0

Post by xeniste »

Hi,

Superb topic! I have read in entirely and tried to install the extension in Opera. Two problems there. The Beta version is downloaded without problems and is immediately deleted upon installation. The second .crx file is installed, but Opera does not find my Chromecast.
Where can be the problem?
Thanx in advance.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

I really can't help with Opera. I use either Chrome or Slimjet (a chromium browser) for casting.
xeniste
Level 0

Post by xeniste »

Nevertheless thanx a lot.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

You might try installing Chrome or Slimjet to see if the extension works from one of those browsers. If not, then it may be an issue with your router settings or something. I don't know if Opera has any setting that could interfere, such as the media router setting in Chrome, which must be disabled for Chrome 49 to use the extension.
John

Re: Here's how to get your Google Cast extension back in older OS.

Post by John »

Gunter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 am I'm glad people have found this information useful.

It seems the moderators on the Chromecast Help Forum are just trying to let all our complaints disappear (much like the Google Cast icon in the Chrome toolbar has disappeared!). So if anyone wants to post this somewhere like Reddit, please do, and maybe it will find its way to more people who might be able to use it.

Also, anyone can post here on my forum without registering -- you just have to pass a security question to prove you're not a bot. You can find an answer for that question by looking at the images on the front page of this site. http://www.fvfonline.com

EDIT: Ah, well, at least the Google moderators have now Pinned the single topic in their Help Forum where they are redirecting all similar complaints, so maybe more people will find it and eventually find their way here.... I guess they do get credit for that potentially helpful action, but they are probably just tired of all the people asking the same question, which they then lock and redirect to that big messy one with a title that is not very descriptive....
You are a legend Gunter. I can now use my laptop with vista on my chromecast on my dumb tv. I am using foxtel go through it. I just wish the video wasnt so jumpy.
mikeAdams
Registered just to make One Post

Post by mikeAdams »

Thank you very much!!!!!
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks for the post! I was getting the error message 'Apps, extensions and user scripts cannot be added from this website' from all the mirrors on the crx link you posted. I followed the instructions in the 'Update' section here: https://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/12/chrom ... -web-site/ and it worked (note the space in between the .exe and the --). Thank you so much for your help!
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Glad you were able to get it working. Thanks for the info.

I assume you're using Chrome Canary or some other different/older version of Chrome....

I guess I'll note here for future reference (from the article), if anyone else has that problem of the extension not wanting to install with the error, "Apps, extensions and user scripts cannot be added from this website", try this command line parameter for Chrome:

--enable-easy-off-store-extension-install
SantiOriginal

Post by SantiOriginal »

You are a heroe! Thank you so much, it works!