Server seems dead.... Annnnd we're back up and running again.

Anything FvF related.
gulliver

Re: Server seems dead.

Post by gulliver »

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about... but I still can't get in. Apparently my memory just isn't good enough. Oh well.

Anyhow, the sys_ticrate or something seems off. It's very choppy right now.

Thanks for running the server, btw, foq.
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

I live again!
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Gunter finally found the server executable I was after, so I've settled on the modified wqpro server that we used to use for fvf. There's also a script running that should auto-resuscitate the server if it blows up.

We need a way to pimp the server to get players...
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Post by Gunter »

I was hoping for some modern Quake engine for the server, but we seemed to have problems with Mark V (well, I did, using Android Mark V.... It would prevent me from moving at the start of the level for a while. The server console was also borked up severly, even though it worked -- you just can't read it).

But it would have been nice to use a modern server that would automatically put up on a master server list so that more people might find us. Long ago when Foq tried a Darkplaces server for FvF, that has issues and couldn't handle me funky fiend jumping code... which was obviously s DP problem, since it works fine in PRoQuake....

I wonder if Quakespasm would work as a server? I think that's still maintained, but I'm not sure if it has server list or what. There must be some decent modern server out there....

In the end it's best to use whatever works best. Proquake 3.5 is old, but I guess pretty reliable.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
foq
Level 4

Re: Server seems dead.... Annnnd we're back up and running again.

Post by foq »

There's going to be a temporary disruption... I'm going to be moving out of here and getting a new place. I don't know exactly how long it will take, but it will happen eventually sometime.

So, just be aware that if you try to connect to the server, and you can't, it will come back soon(tm). This will mean a new IP address, so Gunter will have to fix that...
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

foq wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:29 pm I'm going to be moving out of here and getting a new place.
Hope it all goes smoothly for you, sir.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Okay... so... I secured an apartment, but I won't actually get to move in there until mid-late June.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

I think they have a spare room at the Ogre Citadel. You may have to share it with a horny Fiend on weekends though.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

So, this Friday I get the keys. Planning on actually moving in Saturday. Not too sure how long it will take to get fully settled in there and have an Internet connection, but... at least I'll be in the place soon.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

So I'm basically settled into my new place. I have internet, and the server is right here next to me... but there's a problem. The power supply switch is borked. It doesn't click over to the on position and stay there, it simply bounces back to the off position. So there's no power. I'm likely going to end up taking the power supply apart and seeing what's going on and whether or not I can fix it rather than buying a new one right now. I do want to upgrade the machine the server is running on eventually (by essentially replacing the entire guts of the computer), but not right now.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Okay, so the server is running. By some weird voodoo magic or something, the power supply seems content for the moment. I seem to remember it (the switch) being buggered up before, so hopefully it can just continue to run for now.

The server IP is 204.210.185.238
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Ok, I updated the dns redirect.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Gunter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:47 pm Ok, I updated the dns redirect.
Hey, wanna update the DNS redirect?

I have no idea how stable the server is going to be right now. I've been struggling all day trying to figure out why the DMZ on my gateway wouldn't work, but apparently port scanning tools such as GRC ShieldsUP! don't show open ports anymore even though they're open. I literally had Monster connected to the server while I ran a port scan which told me the port was closed, when EVERY port should be open, because the server runs in the DMZ... This, combined with apparently some server instability, has led to quite a lot of frustration and likely a wild goose chase today.

Now I have to call Spectrum and get them to deactivate their modem, which I picked up today (thinking my gateway, which I spent $200 on, was at fault), and put my gateway back and see if it works. At which point, the IP is probably gonna change again...

Oh, and I also wasted $35 on a Linksys AC-1000 router to go with their modem today, because I specifically requested a basic modem rather than a gateway (modem/router combo). I thought I'd be fine owning my own gateway, and truthfully I probably am, but a combination of some weird fuckery with the server and also some weird fuckery with port scanning tools... yeah...

Gunter, you might want to give me access to whatever it is you go through to update the DNS so I can do it myself when things like this happen...

I think I discovered the cause for the server instability. The CPU was reaching incredible temperatures, much higher than it should. I'm pulling the plug for now, until I can hopefully get the issue resolved sometime tomorrow after work. Or soon-ish. Perhaps the heatsink got jarred in the move, or there's just simply not enough airflow with the side panel on.
Last edited by foq on Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

foq wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:44 am
Gunter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:47 pm Ok, I updated the dns redirect.
Hey, wanna update the DNS redirect?

Ok, I updated the DNS redirect.