How to Connect to Server When DNS is Down

Anything FvF related.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Re: How to Connect to Server When DNS is Down

Post by Gunter »

I'm currently in Kansas visiting my brother, so I'm not well-connected. I just happened to check here....

The alternate DNS (fvf.fvfonline.com) is probably never going to be correct now. I think FOQ's IP address is going to change from time to time, but I gave him the password for the dynamic DNS thing I use, and he said he got the automatic update client so that it should keep fvf.servequake.com correct.

All I can see is that the last DNS update FOQ made on June 20 (probably from the automatic update client) points to 100.64.160.237
But I also see that the Quake One server browser says the server is down.... https://quakeone.com/server-browser

It's all up to the Foqqer.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
foq
Level 4
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by foq »

Okay, so... the ISP just brought me into the modern age with fiber optic internet. Sadly, somehow or another they've set it up so my router sees this 100.64.x.x IP, which is a "shared address space" which means... I dunno. In any case, this means at best, until I can (if I can) figure something else out, I have to manually update the fvf.servequake.com address from now on. If I go to whatismyip I still see a normal public IP address. Hopefully the server still works...

Anyway, it's updated now.

So, I've learned I'm currently on what is known as "CGNAT". It allows ISPs to save a bunch of IPV4 addresses by grouping multiple subscribers to a single public IP. It's basically like being connected to a router you have no access to. As such, FvF is down until further notice. I will try calling the ISP and seeing what options I may have, and exploring other options failing that.

At least, as long as I'm alive, FvF won't be truly dead. I don't give up easily.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Thanks for the updates (and your efforts), Gunter & foq.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Perhaps we should start an old-game-server hosting company, and as a side benefit, host FvF forever. Heh.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

FvF is back up. All it took was a simple call to the ISP. They removed the CGNAT for me just like that... all I had to do was restart my modem and router. We're once again good for the forseeable future. With a fiber connection at that!
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

That's awesome. Thanks, FOQ.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Gunter, I regret to report that I think the ticrate is a little goofed again. :-S
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

I was messing around with it a bit last night. It should be set to .1 again, as is the standard fvf ticrate. It would be great if some work could be done to the progs to make everything work with a faster tic, but as it stands, not using .1 will break a lot of things. I'll check later when I'm home and make sure it's .1
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

I can confirm that the ticrate was definitely left at .1. This is sadly where it needs to be for FvF to function properly, even though it's notoriously sluggish.

It would be great if we could have some work done to FvF to fix it for a lower ticrate. Even .05, the standard, default ticrate for Quake servers, would feel much better. I can easily go as low as .015 though. Gone are the days of hosting Quake servers on a clunky Pentium 3 and 1mbit upload...

Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

I believe FvF will work at 0.05 ticrate -- at least I think I put some code in to adjust the gravity if it's set to 0.05 (after restarting a level). But I don't think things feel right at that ticrate.... I don't remember all the reasons I don't like it. Elevators feel weird or something. I may have also put in code to override any ticrates if some foq tries to set them even lower than that, heh. Not sure, actually.
And Fun fact: you can't jump as high/far when the ticrate is set to the lower values. So you can't jump as high as you are supposed to based on Single Player gameplay. That's why you can't jump out of certain water or lava areas (like the area by the stairs on e2m6, or the lava under the elevator on... e3m6) which you are supposed to be able to jump out of in Sing Player mode. I compensate by altering the gravity based on the ticrate (but only for 0.1 and 0.05) so in FvF you can actually jump about the correct height. Unlike in other Quake servers... where they can't even dance. What's the point of even playing if you can't do a victory dance??
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

I suppose we can try it at .05 for a while. One thing I immediately notice is off, though, is the Laser Android projectiles... particularly the Mass Cannon.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

foq wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:38 pm I suppose we can try it at .05 for a while. One thing I immediately notice is off, though, is the Laser Android projectiles... particularly the Mass Cannon.
Oh yeah! That's one of the main things I don't like. With 0.05 ticrate, all projectiles will appear at half the usual distance of when they appear at 0.1 ticrate as they fly away from you. That's annoying because for Mass Driver a big, constantly firing orb that blocks your view.

I say use 0.1 and just get used to a little lag. It's Quake! It's supposed to have lag!
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Well, I've updated the server autoexec to run .05 ticrate. The responsiveness is so much better, it's worth the minor downsides. At some point I should probably try out the fte server so any potential newbers from the stream re-release can connect... And qw people too apparently?
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Can't seem to connect but anyhow... Merry Christmas, you guys.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

gulliver-trans wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:45 am Can't seem to connect but anyhow... Merry Christmas, you guys.
Yeah, somehow I wound up back on the CGNAT I mentioned before. I've since called the ISP and had it removed, again.