How to Connect to Server When DNS is Down

Anything FvF related.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Re: How to Connect to Server When DNS is Down

Post by Gunter »

I tried to get Bing's AI to draw a happy new year shambler. This is what I got.

Imagehappyshammy by A O, on Flickr
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

Cool, Gunter. He's a fuzzy little guy. I guess that's a sort of Rankin 'n' Bass style? Or that holiday troll/gnome meme. Seems like it's from the 70s?

I just played the Christmas Jam Pack for 2022 (didn't see one for 2023). Tax time procrastination, you know? It had some fun moments and picturesque scenes, though some maps were more festive than others.

https://www.slipseer.com/index.php?reso ... -2022.165/

By the way, I can't connect to the server again, just FYI (sorry).
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Well, I guess I'll try to send Foq a PM and see if he's still around.
I just got a PM from Samhain asking if we need assistance to keep the server running.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Thank you, Gunter :)
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

The server should be connectable again, again (again?). More CGNAT weirdness, but this time I think I've found the root cause (and here up until now I was thinking they'd just periodically remove "no cgnat" people from some list, whether accidentally or purposefully, heh). When I would call and complain about CGNAT, the ISP would add my router's MAC address to some whitelist and CGNAT would be removed... but, whenever my router would reboot, it would seemingly grab a MAC address from a random device on the network and report that, rather than reporting its own. I did have a custom firmware (Asus-wrt Merlin) installed, and I've since installed the stock firmware again, which magically gave me a real public IP again (I probably had CGNAT removed the first time before I installed Merlin), so hopefully the MAC fuckery was something Merlin was doing.

So hopefully the server will be more stable now. I'm sorry I haven't been able to get to it sooner. I know the server's been unreachable for a little while now at this point, but I've been quite busy with some real life stuff. But we should be all good now. If we still have problems with CGNAT after this, my next move will be to go and buy a new router. This one still works fine outside of some MAC fuckery, but it's also quite old and has been EOL for some time now, so getting a new one at this point wouldn't necessarily break my heart either.