Monster or other randomization

Anything FvF related.
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Monster or other randomization

Post by gulliver-trans »

This has been brought up before: replace each current monster spawn with a random monster selection (from what is already available).

What would it take to make it happen? Or what are the chances?
JUGGERNAUT

Post by JUGGERNAUT »

i think specific entities are compiled into the BSP

the only way i could see this happening is if you got the source .map files to all the original id maps and added a new type of entity (definable in QuakeC) which would in turn call a function to randomly spawn an enemy instead of a specific monster

needless to say it would probably be a bit of work...
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

JUGGERNAUT wrote:i think specific entities are compiled into the BSP

the only way i could see this happening is if you got the source .map files to all the original id maps and added a new type of entity (definable in QuakeC) which would in turn call a function to randomly spawn an enemy instead of a specific monster

needless to say it would probably be a bit of work...
Not really :wink:

Actually, I could easily put in as many entities into any map I want to. I could put in a hundred shamblers and vores into e1m1. Plus I could also add weapons, ammo, power ups, and invisible walls. All done in the map editor. I could also take away entities just as easily.
RocketGuy
Level 5

Post by RocketGuy »

you don't even need a map editor :D
it could easly be done in quakec...

if gunter wasn't the champion of lazy :D
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

What I would do is just take a monster's spawn point coordinates, and spawn a random monster there (of equivalent hull size). But remove the original monster first (if the randomizer "chooses" a different monster class).

I'm sure there would be complications, and is not as easy as it might sound. I might give it a shot coding it myself, if it would be used, though.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

RocketGuy wrote:you don't even need a map editor :D
it could easly be done in quakec...

if gunter wasn't the champion of lazy :D

*takes a bow, falls over, and sleeps*
JUGGERNAUT

Post by JUGGERNAUT »

gulliver-trans wrote:What I would do is just take a monster's spawn point coordinates, and spawn a random monster there (of equivalent hull size). But remove the original monster first (if the randomizer "chooses" a different monster class).

I'm sure there would be complications, and is not as easy as it might sound. I might give it a shot coding it myself, if it would be used, though.
i suppose what you could do is simply put a call in for EACH monster spawn point (requires editing several .qc files, specifically the monster ones) so that whenever it spawns a specific monster, it randomly selects from a group of monsters or from all monsters. I'd imagine something similar is happening with brainsuckers/spawns and zombies/zombiekazies - if you notice, it seems random which zombies turn into zombiekazies and which spawns turn into brainsuckers; playing through reveals that the locations are not consistent (although certainly there is always a monster in a given spot, though not necessarily always a specific type)

obviously the easiest solution would probably be to use a map editor, or to spawn monsters after the stuff in world.qc and client.qc has been run (worldspawn etc) but then you'd have to recompile the .bsp (qbsp -> light -> vis) i'd think the most elegant, but simultaneously most difficult solution would be to do some haxery in quakec... this actually sounds interesting, probably worth making a topic over on inside3d forums about it