Coming back to FVF... well... trying to

Anything FvF related.
Lysander

Coming back to FVF... well... trying to

Post by Lysander »

I've been drifting in and out of FVF for the last few months but I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be. Ive played many online games since but nothing's quite the same as FVF.

However, the main reasons I don't come back as often as I used to are twofold.

1] It's too bloody hard. Gunter, I know you're the main admin guy but seriously, it's become ridiculous! God knows how many XPs you've given some of the monsters but playing enjoyment comes through not dying every five seconds the further you get into the levels. I've noticed on the few times that I've logged in that the server is always empty. I'm wondering whether this is because of the difficulty. I don't buy the "it's Gunter's, he can do what he likes" argument that I read in another thread, since the server is nothing without its players and its players have deserted it. It would be good to get things back to the level they were at a few years ago. I'm not having a go at you Gunter, just trying to figure out what's going on!

2] This is a far lesser gripe and nothing to do with the server, but Vista. Vista doesn't seem to be able to run GLQuake, or anything apart from Winquake. This makes Quake look very dated since it's the only engine that will work in Vista. If anyone knows of another that works in Vista, please let me know.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

Re: Coming back to FVF... well... trying to

Post by Gunter »

Well, FvF is designed to be played by a group, so it is harder than normal Quake. However, you may have been in Nightmare skill, which is insanely hard.... If the rune that looks like a "7" is present, then you are in Nightmare skill. Also, when you ping the server in gamespy or qview, the "teamplay" variable will tell you what mosde it's in. Nightmare skill is activated after someone has played through all the levels the first time.... And after that is Hyper, where the monsters move like they are on speed, and the finally Hyper Nightmare.... Fun stuff. :twisted:

If you are playing by yourself, you can always vote to "restart quest mode," which will take you back to the standard skill, and let you work up through the beginning, easier levels, gaining XP so that you get more weapons and ammo every time you die....

We've actually had more players on the server recently. You must be looking at the wrong time of day.

As for what will run in Vista, you'd probably have to ask over at Quakeone.com

Have you tried Crack?
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
Joao Lucas
Level 6
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by Joao Lucas »

The sad truth mate, every game gets boring with time. People have a life. I haven't been playing anything recently, the school is killing me. When I'm not at school, I'm going out with friends, for example.

Damn, I really hope people come back to FvF. Great times there. I promise I will try to play on the weekend! You can have my word,

Jow
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

What up, peeps?

I monitor the server and see a few people come and got a lot on weekdays -- mostly names I don't recognize. I barely ever get on anymore since I'm employed now, and don't really feel I have time for anything. At all.