FvF server going down

Anything FvF related.
Gunter
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Gunter

FvF server going down

Post by Gunter »

Just linking to the thread over at Quakeone: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/q ... -down.html
FvF and Rquake Co-op are shutting down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As all of you are aware, we are in rough times. Money is tight, and we gotta do all we can to save money. And as of late, I simply can't keep hosting FvF and Rquake coop any longer due to high electricity and internet bills, so I have decided after much thought, to stop hosting them.

This doesn't mean I am leaving the Quake community in any way, it simply means I will no longer be able to host the servers. However I will leave them on for another week, but they will be off by the 6th.

I've been hosting these servers for a good 5 years now, and we all knew it was going to happen eventually. Hopefully someone else will volunteer to host them. Until then, enjoy them for one more week. I know they are currently offline now, and will get them back up as soon as I can.

Thanks to Orl for making all the dog-rapings possible for all these years.

Foq has offered to host it, but I think I'll let it rest for a while before deciding if I'm gonna do anything.
ImageImageImage <- Try my Pogo Piggle games for Android!
foq
Level 4
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Re: FvF server going down

Post by foq »

Computer files don't need rest :(
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

But I'm really lazy and lack motivation, and I think most of the FvF players have died anyway.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Gunter wrote:But I'm really lazy and lack motivation, and I think most of the FvF players have died anyway.
That doesn't mean you can't send me the progs. Wether the players have lost interest or not, that doesn't mean the mod itself should be homeless. There's plenty of people who'll play FvF if I ask them to come play. You can't expect people to just happen on a Quake server unless it's shmack, speaknow or the crmod server.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Thanks, ORL, WHEREVER YOU ARE! Oh ur on quakeone well I'm too lazy to click over there.

It was nice to know the server was still there, humming away, even if I had no reason to hop on (and a good reason not to).

Too bad this forum isn't more active. Heck the players should still stick together. That's what really matters -- the people. Find a nice little MMORPG that you can all retire to. Together <3

See you in the aftershock.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Well, we have to decide if it would be better to have FvF or The Hub running on the default port and what other port to use for the other one, then I have to go in and modify the source code for Hub to point to the right places for the servers, and I'd need to go in and modify FvF a little too, but probably just for splash screen message.... and all that stuff is on my computer in the back room....
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

I think it would be better to have fvf on the default port. Nobody uses the hub tbh (I look at the erver console every so often, it almost never has anything about players connecting), everyone just directly connects to wherever they're going. If someone wants to play on the hub, they'll connect to port 26001.
gulliver-trans
Administrator

Post by gulliver-trans »

Yeah I'd go with FvF, but I won't be playing anyhow.

I guess FvF won't be a part of baker's Universal Server project (or whatever it's called).
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Is there a way to point the fvf.servequake.com DNS to port 26001 of quake1.ath.cx? Don't have it pointed to my IP, my IP changes a lot and I can change the IP the quake1.ath.cx DNS points to.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Hm. I thought Hub would be better as the default port, since you can just type "connect hub.quakeone.com" to get there.... but then again, you're right that it doesn't get enough players to worry about....

Since FvF does get a few players, I guess it would be better to have it on the default port.....

I'm not sure if I can point the dynamic DNS to another dynamic DNS.... I'll have to check on that.
EDIT: Hmm, it looks like my dynamic DNS can direct someone to a different port number.... so I could have fvf.servequake.com pointing to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:26001, but I'm not sure yet about pointing it to another dns.... It seems like it should be possible.

Does your dynamic DNS update itself automatically? Or do you have to change it manually? With the one I use, you can run a little client in the tray that will automatically update the dynamic thingy when your IP changes....

Actually, instead of fvf.servequake.com, you could probably just ask Baker or whomever to give you fvf.quakeone.com .... since hub.quakeone.come doesn't sound very "FvF"..... if that's going to be on the default port....
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Yes you can point one dns to another dns. I control my quake1.ath.cx dns on the dyndns website (yes, it should update itself if the IP changes if I put my username/password in the router). The hub.quakeone.com dns is pointed to my quake1.ath.cx dns.

Why not just use the fvf.servequake.com dns for my server?
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

Ok, fvf.servequake.com is now pointing to quake1.ath.cx

Hm, this is going to be a minor annoyance: When you do a "test xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in quake, it checks the other server and lists the players (that's what the Hub does when you stand in an exit). But if you do like "test quake1.ath.cx" it will freeze up quake for a few seconds while it resolves the DNS to the IP..... so I have hard coded the IP numbers of the servers into the Hub..... but... if your IP changes often(?) that wouldn't work.....

I don't think there's a way in QuakeC to read the IP address and save it to a string.... That might work in this case.... but I bet it would have to be changed in the engine code to do that....

When I get arond to changing the splash screen, do you want it to give your e-mail address for contact info? And if so, what addy?
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

Yeah sure, you can post my email address. downgraded286@yahoo.com

So the fvf.servequake.com dns is pointing to the dns I have control over. Cool... I guess that means I don't need hub.quakeone.com anymore?

My IP really only changes if I want it to. You can hard-code my current IP if you want to, it shouldn't really be changing... I would still have it resolve the DNS though, since sometimes some script kiddie somewhere likes to flood my connection, so I have to do stuff in my router to change my ip.
Gunter
Administrator

Post by Gunter »

You should still keep the hub dns if you're going to be running the Hub, since hub.quakeone.com:26001 is still easier to remember for the Hub than fvf:servequake.com:26001.

I was looking at the thread over at Quakeone: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/q ... #post64820

I don't quite agree with Baker....

Well, I don't think Quakeworld was a shining golden city back in 2005.... and netquake wasn't really a disaster on the brink; it was just disorganized, without one good central site to provide downloads, a forum, and server lists. Quaketerminus had a forum and some downloads, and there were a few runequake sites with runequake server lists and their own forums, but gameaholic probably had the best server lists....

Quake wasn't brought back to life because people decided to share mod source code.... It had more to do with the good, central site, and people making enhanced engines like Qrack and Darkplaces, and also somewhat due to new maps being created and released to keep things fresh. And probably of equal importance to Quake not dying is the pirating of Quake through the internet and file sharing services.

Yet things in Quake are still pretty much how they were 5 years ago (and earlier), purely from a player's perspective: Runequake gets all the players.

Sure, there are some other mods that get played fairly regularly, but when people want to play those other mods, they usually have to come to a runequake server to ask other people to come play!

There just aren't all that many players to go around... so I just don't buy the idea that if I released my source code, there would magically be FvF servers popping up everywhere, brimming with players....

There are plenty of open-source mods that are dead.

Baker wrote:Isn't it odd that Gunter was an FVF lover that started off his modding "career" hacking the progs with a hex editor because he didn't have the source to the then dead mod.
I don't know about "odd," but it was certainly resourceful!

And then eventually he contacted the author and got the source.
No, I actually didn't. Armaphage decompiled it and gave it to me. That crudely-decompiled code is what I've had from the beginning, and what I still work on. I think JacKo eventually cobntacted Hap and got the source code for the full, regesterd FvF4, but I use FvF2 as the base. I did import some things from the regesterd version, like the Alien and Time Traveler classes....

And now he might as well be that author that abandoned the mod and let it die via the very same closed source route that Gunter himself dealt with as a predicament.
Well, the full regesterd source code was released. I don't think it's readily available on the internet anywhere (just because no one ever put it anywhere), but other people do have it. And the other older versions of FvF can be decomplied just like how I got FvF2 source.... I'm not controlling any of that. I just control my own code....

I respect Gunter as a very creative modder and someone who has contributed a lot of diversity and entertainment for the FVF lovers in the community.

But it seems like he didn't learn really learn anything from his experience.
Oh, but I have learned from my experience.... I saw what happened when other people modified the FvF source code themselves.... One person modified the full version, and another modified the earlier version.... I really disliked both products. The balance was messed up with things from runequake and other silly additions....

I'd rather keep control of my own version of FvF (I obviously can't control the source code from the unmodified original versions -- they are out there) than see a lot of bastard versions based on mine popping up.... And even then, players wouldn't magically appear to polulate all the FvF servers.... (the other modified FvF servers didn't last....).

Successful people don't fail in the same way they started.
I don't really know what that's supposed to mean.....

My version and vision for FvF has been a success.

There are still a few players who want to play it, and still someone who wants to host it, so it's doing a lot better than a lot of other dead Quake mods, open-source or otherwise.
foq
Level 4

Post by foq »

FvF is back online!