Project Guilt Trip

Discuss anything you'd like that doesn't belong in the other forums.
Spectrum Vixen

Re: Project Guilt Trip

Post by Spectrum Vixen »

Game balance:

I don't want any class to have a kill-all end-all move or attack. That would ruin the fun of it all... make it nothing but people using that attack for everything to kill everyone, nothing else. I hate that about fps games, always have. Each attack and skill needs to have a function that no other ability in the class can fill.

Because finding weapons and ammo is never an issue, and because many of these class abilities break barriers most mods take for granted, and because each class will be so drastically different, great care must be taken to game balance, so no class has a distinct advantage, even if all will have specialities.

Arrite, to make something clear, the three modes and the special are not powerups or anything, but are gonna be selected by keystroke (or whatever, set to impulses so you can bind them as you see fit).

Demon Retooling for new system considerations

-Superjump ability
-Wing-flight ability that consumes stamina, and is clumsy
-Immunity to lava, vulnerability in water, and weakness to acid

Reaping (mode1):
(normal, close): Basic claw attack (slish-slash)
(Normal, far): Launch fire bolts
(normal + Jump) Second, smaller mid-air jump that does less damage, but grants extra distance
(normal + Flight) a foreward-aimed, but innacurate fire bolt attack.
(Smash, close): A claw attack that hits all near the Fiend (spinning attack)
(Smash, far): Launch a couple, slower and overcharged fire bolts.
(smash + jump): A harder-hitting jump impact that knocks foes back.
(smash + flight): A foreward-aimed, but innacurate overcharge Firebolt attack.
Demon using this mode has cheap, easy powers.

Brute (mode2):
(normal, close): A single, powerful claw slash that is slower, but smacks foes backward some.
(Normal, far): A fireball-flinging attack that explodes. Not nearly as good as a rocket, but throws much harder.
(normal + Jump) A mid-air lunge that does heavy damage.
(normal + Flight) A couple of those weak fireballs. Innacurate, hitting an area rather than a spot.
(Smash, close): A very heavy circle-claw attack that forcibly smacks all nearby people away like ragdolls, briefly stuns, and deals impressive damage. Big, clunky and slow.
(Smash, far): A shambler-style lightning attack that impacts and knocks foes out of the air like flies, even if the damage is not all that impressive.
(smash + jump): A downward smash that damages and knocks away all foes near the epicenter of impact.
(smash + flight): Divebomb! Works a lot like smash + jump, but it can be directed some. Works like a flying rocket.
Demon using this power set can scale and cling to walls, and has stronger beats of their wings that can push foes a little, but they cannot glide.

Celerity (mode3):
(normal, close): A rapid-fire claw attack
(Normal, far): A weaker shot-per-shot but very fast firebolt attack.
(normal + Jump) Accelerates the arc of the jump and does a little more damage on impact.
(normal + Flight) a rapid-fire, but highly innacurate firebolt attack that attacks a wide area.
(Smash, close): A frenzy attack, letting the fiend viciously attack all foes nearby repeatedly, dealing small damage, but very often, and very quickly. Drains stamina QUICKLY.
(Smash, far): Lightning-link, letting the fiend latch onto a foe and yank right up to them. has a finite range, and can only grapple living things, but works like a ctf-style grappling hook.
(smash + jump): A mid-air lunge that does a little damage, and can be repeated in the event of an impact until the fiend misses. On a hit, the fiend bounces backwards several feet, then can lunge again once a couple feet away. (believe me, this will look really cool when its done. Imagine a scrag being pounced from below by the demon, who uses this attack, pounding them senseless mid-air as they try their best to hold their legs shut >.>)
(smash + flight): A charge attack that does impressive damage, and knocks those in its path flying aside. Poor controll while in the air, but fun.

Demon using this mode is much quicker than normal, but is constantly burning stamina when in motion, only able to regenerate it when sitting still.

Hunter(Special): The Demon's outlandish abilities that aid in the demon's role as the wanton destroyer and killer of crunchy prey.
(Normal): Scent (radar-like ability that lets them sense nearby foes.)
(Smash): Shadowstep (a short-range teleport ability. Mostly for dodging something nasty in a pinch, because theres no predicting where you'll end up in the immediate area.)
These abilities are gonna prolly be *very* cheap. Demon using the Hunter set has no actual attacks while the set is active, but the concentration of this improves their base attributes some: speed, jump distances, wingflight efficiency, gliding controll, all at no additional stamina cost. This makes Hunter the ideal set for the demon roving and searching for prey in a large map.

-----------------------------

Anyhow, how does this all look so far? Any ideas on how to balance this stuff, anyone?
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Guest wrote:Yaay! Orl wants to help!... I-think!

What I need most help with is programming gametype and mapping.
I'll help in any way I can. But the only thing I know how to do is mapping. I have much experience with maps and can create some interesting stuff, but thats it. I am by no means a programmer.
Spectrum Vixen

Post by Spectrum Vixen »

Actually, that is wonderful!

Maps this mod would use would have to be high quality, naturally... but aside from that, taking into account the high mobility settings of this mod. Each and every class will have a lot of options for movement, I think.

The Marine will have the swinging grapple and the Portal guns to move around with, while the fiend will be able to fly and leap like a motherfucker. This will raise a lot of issues with map-making if I am not mistaken...

I'm thinking prince-of-persia-style open-expanses-and-platforms with grappling hook poles and facets will be neccesary: All human classes will have access to the hook, you see, so it will have to cater to them some, I think, or the humans will get their butts kicked (Remember, Most of the monsters like enclosed spaces, and fight best in those situations)

But at the same time, we can't show the monster classes no love: Perhaps those platforms in those open-expanse rooms would have enclosures, like buildings on those platforms, for them to fight from.

So then. A map that caters to these criterea would be excellent.

Summing up:

-A ground floor with islands surrounded by lava with bridges inbetween, and teleporters going upward from there, and a lot of low-hanging bars and poles for humans to grapple and climb with.

-Several platforms, coming from the walls of the map and hovering in the middle, big and small, with close-quarters structures on them, and staggered in their heights, again with poles ascending and descending for the grappling hook. Remember though, this is not a "pull" type grapple, but a swinging grapple with limited range (its a long range, but its still limited), staggered in heights and distances from one another, but never within jumping distances. A few would be neat to have broken bridges inbetween, though.

-Each structure would do well to have a corresponding teleporter, and the teleporters aught not to be grouped together on one island on the base... too easy.

-At the top of this tower-structured map (wide base and veeery tall map) it would be cool to have a peak room sort of deal.

Heh... that's a tall (heehee) order, I know, but that kind of map would be perfect. Take your time with it... It will take me a while to finish the first release with some basic features.
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

So whats the status at this point?
gulliver-trans
Administrator
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by gulliver-trans »

Why do you call it Guilt Trip?
Orl
Administrator

Post by Orl »

Well its been a whole month without word. Guess this will be another mod down the toilet.
Joao Lucas
Level 6
Favorite FvF Class: Laser Android

Post by Joao Lucas »

Orl wrote:Well its been a whole month without word. Guess this will be another mod down the toilet.
That, or he's too busy working on it to post here.